Thursday, August 23, 2012

The Towel

Years and years ago when my relationship with my husband was fairly new, he suprised me one Friday evening with a present. We had been going out long enough that I was there every weekend, but were not yet at the point where my apartment had become just my cat's apartment and a place where I stored my couch. We were exclusive, but not "forever" serious yet.

It was in a pretty gift bag and he seemed pretty pleased with himself. I was pretty pleased to be getting a gift. I opened it up and found....

a towel.

A blue beach towel to be exact.

I was a little confused initially, and must have looked it, because he said "It's for here."

Then I understood. Being a new(ish) girlfriend I had tried not to complain too much about the towel situation, but it was a bit of a problem. He was a single dad and they didn't have a lot of towels, they hadn't needed them, it was just the two of them. The towels they did have were small ones, I liked to be able to wrap my towels right around my body. His were what I'd have called "hair towels", suitable for wrapping turban style around my head to dry my hair, but not for a good post-shower wrap up.

This new towel was big enough to wrap around me. And it was designated "mine", for my use when I stayed the night.

It seems like a small thing, this towel, but looking back the gesture was huge. Phil wasn't just giving me a towel, he was saying "I want you here, I want you to be happy and comfortable and have the things you need while you're here."

It marked a turning point for us...before too much longer I was there several nights during the week as well as weekends. I started bringing my laundry over (including some of my large bath towels) since I was never home long enough to do laundry...and that led to just leaving my clothes there since it was "easier". Before too long we made the decision to just have me move in...there was no sense in me paying rent for my cat. We combined our two households worth of stuff (linens and all), had those big Forever and Ever talks...

Blink your eyes, and it's 9 years and 5 kids later.

Phil's given me many gifts over the years, but only a handful with heartfelt sentiment as powerful as that towel had.

It was an indicator of how sweet and thoughtful he was. That he would think of my needs and do what he could to make sure I was happy. He still does that today. He works hard to provide the necessities as well as the creature comforts for his family.

I'm a very lucky woman. I have the towel to prove it.

3 comments:

  1. Aw, man. Just when I think I don't want the fairytale ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea, you just made me cry. You are both assholes.

    ReplyDelete